Historic Sketch of St. Mark Lutheran Church
From Sunday, December 9, 1917 Church Bulletin
Fifty years after Col. Richard McAllister founded McAllistertown, afterward named Hanover, St. Mark Lutheran Church was dedicated to the Triune God. It was during the early days of our late civil strife that St. Mark was founded. Here the faithful, unmindful of the probable effects of the war (World War I), built a tabernacle to God.
Lutheranism led the way into the realm of religious activity in Hanover at an early date. The mother church, St. Matthew, is nearly a century and three quarters old.
St. Mark celebrated her fiftieth anniversary September 1915. The first meeting preliminary to organization was held December 19, 1863. Subsequently, $14,213.75 were subscribed for the erection of the church edifice and the purchase of a suitable site. At a meeting held January 1, 1864, Carlisle Street was chosen as a proper location for the proposed structure. On January 9th, the building committee purchased from William Beard the lot upon which the church now stands. The purchase price was $2,100.00.
The corner stone was laid July 20, 1864, and the first pastor was called March 11, 1865.
The church was dedicated the third Sunday in September, 1865.
At a congregational meeting held March 8, 1883, it was decided to enlarge the church. An annex of twenty feet was built, and interior improvements made to the main auditorium, including the purchase of a pipe organ. The total expenditure exceeded $12,000.00.
The church was re-opened February 24, 1884.
The tubular chimes were installed in St. Mark church tower during the summer of 1906.
Only two sons, the Revs. J. Wilson Bixler and William A. Kump, have gone out of this congregation into the Gospel Ministry, but their records do her honor. Two later sons, Harold Little and Arthur Fuhrman, are at present preparing at Gettysburg College for the work of the ministry.
During the summer of 1914, the great four-manual pipe organ, the gift of two of St. Mark’s generous women, was installed. The contract price paid by the donors was $10,600.00. The total expenditure, including the necessary attachments and especially constructed concrete swell-boxes, was approximately $14,000.00.
At a congregational meeting held Thursday evening, October 30, 1913, subscriptions were secured for the erection of a Sunday School chapel and proposed improvements to the church. March 24, 1914, the contract for the proposed building [including the addition to the church], exclusive of furnishings, was $27,637.00. The corner stone was laid Sunday, June 7, 1914. This new and modern chapel was dedicated to God, Sunday, May 18, 1915.
Sunday, December 2, 1917, it was announced that an anniversary fund of $12,500.00 had been subscribed to liquidate St. Mark of all building indebtedness and to provide for other church needs.
1865-1868 – Rev. Monroe J. Alleman, D.D.
1868-1875 – Rev. George Parson, D.D.
1876-1883 – Rev. Daniel Schindler, D.D.
1884-1887 – Rev. George Scholl, D.D.
1887-1912 – Rev. Charles M. Stock, D.D.
1912 -- -- Rev. George W. Nicely, B.D.